Sunday, June 22, 2014

MT FUJI REVISITED

It had been almost 15 years exactly that I first scaled this active volcano.  I was a young U.S. Navy Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman attached to  forward deployed 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion.  I had seen it in the distance everyday from Camp Fuji and my mind wondered constantly about it's eerie mystique.  I began to develop a personal relationship with the mountain as I pondered it's mystery.  At times as I was going through personal family issues, I would sit and stare at the snowy peak and it seemed to whisper back to me through the whistling wind.  She was calming at times, until we began to make the journey to her summit on July 24, 1998.  The base of the mountain was humid and hot as we began to make the trek.  From check point station to the next, I could physically feel the air become thinner, and it became much more difficult to breath as we rose in elevation.  I can remember purchasing small canisters of oxygen and I was still having difficulty catching my breath.  What seemed like an eternity later, I finally rose above the summit to feel the crisp snowy air.  I began  to feel extremely nauseous, dizzy, and overcome by the thin air.  I couldn't decide whether I conquered the mountain, or the mountain conquered me.  I promised myself one day to return.  This mountain has personality. She has a mind of her own.  Respect her or reap the consequences.

On June 20, 2013, I had the wonderful opportunity to make a trip back to Mt. Fuji with full intentions of once again making the trip to her summit.  In my heart I was ready.  In my mind I knew I was too horribly out of shape.  She would eat me alive.  Like I said, we have this strange personal relationship with each other.  As our bus came closer and closer to the mountain base, we received updates that there would be a possibility that the mountain would be closed to traffic due to inclimate weather.  We finally made it to the first mountain check point and saw the road barrier up.


As I approached the large fence, a strong brisk wind swept across the cool mountain air, as if she was saying "not today big guy."  In a way, I felt as if the mountain could sense the personal turmoil that I am currently dealing with.  As if she knew what was going on in my heart and mind.  I wasn't ready, and I knew it.  Actually, I think she knew it as well.  My love affair with this mountain will have to wait till another day.  Maybe another trip to Japan is in order.  It may be time to improve my health, work on myself, and come back when the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment